Spring has sprung in Australia and my Facebook feed is loaded with news of belt promotions – happy days!
So many awesome BJJ guys and dolls back home are proudly posing for photos with club certificates, and pretty new colours tied around their waists.
I am so damn blessed to know this crew, all from different clubs – who show such passion, talent and dedication to their training.
Of course, all the grading amazingness has me reflecting on my own progress – or lack of, which is especially noticeable when I see friends who began at the same time or after me, receiving their stripes and/or blue belts.
Again I’m having to remind myself not to compare, and not to be so hard on myself.
That first stripe achievement seems so long ago now, and here hasn’t been one since, but my training hasn’t been half as consistent since either..
– I’ve had minor but niggling injuries
– I’ve moved overseas and started at a brand new club
– I’ve been working my butt off in a casual job while hunting for a permanent role here in London, meaning often I am choosing to log more hours over making class.
My goals for 2014 are clear though:
– Lock in permanent work
– Train harder, and much more often
– Jump into some gi comps
– Earn a second stripe, hopefully a third and in a perfect world, maybe even a fourth as well!